Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Birthday America!!

So it's been a pretty busy summer so far. I haven't had a ton of time to write on this blog, especially since my internet connection isn't the greatest out here. But, it has been a fantastic summer. It's been stressful lately with a lot of different events at camp going on for the fourth of July and some special treks are coming off the trail at the end of the week. There's a nasty little virus going around too which is making out schedule tighter than usual because so many people are sick. And we've had quite a number of Search and Rescues in the past week and a half, so our department (and a few others that help out out on occasion) are really working their butts off. We finally saw our first major rainfall of the season on July 1st, when it down poured! It was glorious. If you haven't heard, New Mexico has been in quite a drought which in turn makes perfect fire conditions. We had a lot of lightning with our glorious rainfall, but luckily the ranch is still in tact. I guess I should also mention that usually forest areas should burn every 25 years or so, just to help keep the forest clear and healthy. The southern part of our ranch hasn't had a fire in over 100 years. So basically, it's well overdue.
My mom and her two friends are coming to visit here in a few days. That's really exciting for me because she's been hearing about Philmont and seeing pictures for years but she's never gotten to experience it herself first hand. I'm going to show her around here and then go to Taos for a day. I'm pretty excited for this week, it should be a good one.
Here's some pictures of my crew I took out last week. :) They were awesome!
 First day.. Hiking along...
 Abreu, an interp camp for Mexican homesteading.
 My crew got to milk goats!
 Lower Bonito Canyon.
 My crew!
 Hiking through the meadow.
 The Tooth of Time hiding behind some smoke coming from the Santa Fe fires.
 The old man face on the side of Lovers Leap.
 The Tooth of Time.
 Caught a butterfly on some thistle.
Jar Jar Binks rock on Tooth Ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment